If you see something you believe to be a bomb, or if you receive a bomb threat, please follow the steps below.
What to Do:
- Do not touch the suspicious item.
- Move away from the area of the suspicious item.
- After you are safe, call the Department of Public Safety at 609-258-3333, 911 from a campus phone or activate a blue light phone to report the suspicious item.
- If you are not able to evacuate, seek shelter inside of a building away from windows and exterior walls.
- Do NOT activate the building alarm system to evacuate.
- Take no other action unless directed by emergency responders.
If you receive a bomb threat by phone, you should do the following:
- Remain calm.
- Keep the caller on the phone as long as possible.
- Obtain as much information as possible from the caller. Try to ask the following questions:
- When is the bomb going to explode?
- Where is it right now?
- What does it look like?
- What kind of bomb is it?
- What will cause it to explode?
- Did you place the bomb?
- Also try to remember:
- Woman or man’s voice.
- Approximate age.
- Tone of voice.
- Background noise or other identifiable comments or sounds.
- If possible, write a note to a colleague to call the Department of Public Safety while you are on the call or notify them yourself via email or immediately following the call.
- If on a campus phone, activate the call trace feature as follows:
- After the call ends, hang up.
- Pick up the receiver and dial *57.
- Listen for the beep and hang up.