You are here

Coronavirus FAQ - Princeton Campus Community

Updated February 13, 2020
* Indicates new or updated content
*IMPORTANT: All students, faculty, and staff who are currently in China and plan to return on or after February 3rd must call the UHS Global Health Physican at (609) 258-7971 before returning to campus.  
All students, faculty and staff who returned prior to February 3rd were expected to complete this survey: The information provided on the Survey is secure and has been kept confidential.
Is University Health Services prepared to test or treat a person with coronavirus?
Yes. University Health Services is equipped and prepared to see paitents with coronavirus at McCosh Health Center and is in constant communication with the NJ Department of Health on how to best deal with such cases. The UHS Global Health Physican is a board certified infectious disease specialist who coordinates the medical response to public health emergencies. 
If University faculty, staff, or students are diagnosed with coronavirus, will we be notified?

The University will keep the campus informed as appropriate. Anyone who has been in close contact with an individual diagnosed with coronavirus will be contacted by public health officials.

Is the University planning to quarantine students, faculty, or staff who have returned from mainland China and are not exhibiting symptoms?

Students, faculty, staff, and visitors coming from mainland China to the United States after Feb. 3 will need to self-quarantine for 14 days from their last day in mainland China. For students returning to live on campus, we will facilitate self-quarantine by providing support for housing, food, and academics during this two-week period. While we cannot facilitate self-quarantine for faculty members, staff, and visitors, we can provide advice about how to do this. 

For those who returned from China prior to Feb. 3, UHS conducted comprehensive risk assessments based on guidance from the NJ Department of Health.
I have not traveled to China recently, but I have symptoms of respiratory illness. Can I come to work or class?
Students, faculty and staff who have symptoms of acute respiratory illness are recommended to stay home and not come to work or class until they are free of fever (100.4° F [37.8° C] or greater using an oral thermometer), signs of a fever, and any other symptoms for at least 24 hours, without the use of fever-reducing or other symptom-altering medicines (e.g. cough suppressants).
*Are there confirmed cases of COVID-19 (a.k.a. 2019 Novel Coronavirus) in New Jersey?
No cases have been confirmed in New Jersey.
What type of office cleaning should be done if there is a case of coronavirus?
As with any seasonal respiratory illness, routine cleaning is effective. Routine cleaning products are fine, bleach is not necessary. Because this is flu season, Building Services has increased their cleaning and disinfection of high contact surfaces.
What if I am experiencing increased anxiety or stress related to concerns about family in China?
Students who are experiencing increased anxiety or stress related to concerns about family in China may see a counselor; call 609-258-3141 to arrange an appointment, or schedule an initial consultation through myUHS. Students may also reach out to Susan Kim, CPS Outreach Counselor at, to inquire about her drop in hours at the Graduate College and E-Quad.
Is a surgical mask/facemask helpful in preventing transmission of coronavirus? 
From the CDC: "CDC Does not currently recommend the use of facemasks among the general public. While limited person-to-person spread among close contacts has been detected, this virus is not currently spreading in the community in the United States."
If you see someone wearing a mask, do not assume that they have symptoms or are at risk. Wearing a mask is a widespread preventive habit in several countries, and a gesture of consideration for others.
Where can I get more information on coronavirus? 
For up-to-date information, please check the following websites:

University Resources

For more results, please use the Princeton University search page.