You are here

Coronavirus FAQ - Students

Updated February 7, 2020
*indicates new or updated information
*IMPORTANT: All students, faculty, and staff who are currently in China and plan to return on or after February 3rd must call the UHS Global Health Physican at (609) 258-7971 before returning to campus.  
All students, faculty and staff who returned prior to February 3rd were expected to complete this survey: The information provided on the Survey is secure and has been kept confidential.
We appreciate that this is a challenging situation for self-quarantining students and are working closely with them to address any concerns.
*ANTI-BIAS NOTICE: Princeton University is committed to maintaining an educational, working, and living environment that is free of all forms of discrimination and where every member can thrive. It is essential that we all be supportive, respectful, and inclusive of the members of our community who are affected by this global issue.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the response team via e-mail at
*Is the University planning to quarantine students, faculty, or staff who have returned from mainland China and are not exhibiting symptoms?
Students coming from mainland China to the United States after Feb. 3 will need to self-quarantine for 14 days from their last day in mainland China. For students returning to live on campus, we will facilitate self-quarantine by providing support for housing, food, and academics during this two-week period.
For those who returned from China prior to Feb. 3, UHS conducted comprehensive risk assessments based on guidance from the NJ Department of Health.
Within the last 14 days, I was in close contact with a person who has been diagnosed with coronavirus.
Contact University Health Services at 609-258-3141.
I recently returned from China and have symptoms consistent with coronavirus. What should I do?
If you are exhibiting symptoms, such as fever, cough, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, call McCosh Health Center (609-258-3141). They will provide advice on what to do next. 
*I have not traveled to China recently, but I have symptoms of respiratory illness. Can I come to work or class?
Students, faculty and staff who have symptoms of acute respiratory illness are recommended to stay home and not come to work or class until they are free of fever (100.4° F [37.8° C] or greater using an oral thermometer), signs of a fever, and any other symptoms for at least 24 hours, without the use of fever-reducing or other symptom-altering medicines (e.g. cough suppressants).
I am an undergraduate student who is self-quarantining and plans not to attend classes in person. How do I make arrangements to attend classes virtually?
Undergraduate students are advised to contact their residential college Dean or Director of Studies with academic concerns. For additional guidance, contact Claire Fowler from the Office of the Dean of the College.
I am a graduate student who is self-quarantining and plans not to attend classes in person. How do I make arrangements to attend classes virtually?
For questions on academic matters, please contact your department (Director of Graduate Studies and Graduate Program Administrator). Graduate students may also reach out to the staff in the Office of the Dean of the Graduate School on academic matters – Dean Christine Murphy ( for graduate students in the Natural Sciences and Engineering and Dean Geoffrey Hill ( for graduate students in the Humanities and Social Sciences.
I am self-quarantining. How do I get food?
Food service will be provided to those students who have chosen to self-quarantine and have completed the form
I am concerned about sharing a bathroom. 
The novel coronavirus is a respiratory virus, most easily transmitted through coughing and sneezing. Follow good sanitary practices - washing hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds and not coughing or sneezing on your hands. Use disinfectant wipes to wipe down sink handles, toilet handle and bathroom door fixture after use and before you wash your hands.  
My roommate came back from China a week ago and we had been sharing a room since. They have now begun self-quarantining. Should I be self-quarantining? I have not been to China and neither of us is showing any symptoms.
No. There is no need for self-quarantining if you have not been in China in the past 14 days or in close contact with someone who is not showing symptoms.
*My roommate was in China recently and has not been in close contact with anyone diagnosed with coronavirus, and is not exhibiting any symptoms. Am I at risk? What can I do if I am not comfortable living with them?
Your risk is very low if you avoided sustained periods of close contact and have practiced good hand hygiene. However, if you still have concerns, please email and we will respond to your concerns. 
*What if I am experiencing increased anxiety or stress related to concerns about family in China?
Students who are experiencing increased anxiety or stress related to concerns about family in China may see a counselor; call 609-258-3141 to arrange an appointment, or schedule an initial consultation through myUHS. Students may also reach out to Susan Kim, CPS Outreach Counselor at, to inquire about her drop in hours at the Graduate College and E-Quad.
*Is a surgical mask/facemask helpful in preventing transmission of coronavirus?   
From the CDC: "CDC Does not currently recommend the use of facemasks among the general public. While limited person-to-person spread among close contacts has been detected, this virus is not currently spreading in the community in the United States."
If you see someone wearing a mask, do not assume that they have symptoms or are at risk. Wearing a mask is a widespread preventive habit in several countries, and a gesture of consideration for others.
Where can I get more information on coronavirus? 
For up-to-date information, please check the following websites:

University Resources

For more results, please use the Princeton University search page.