Acts of terror are intended to create panic and confusion. You may be able to lessen the impact and contribute positively by following the advice below.
What to Do:
If you learn of terrorism in your area, follow these steps:
- Remain calm and be patient.
- Follow the instructions of the University TigerAlert (formerly PTENS) and the advice of local emergency officials.
- Check the University homepage and Emergency site for instructions.
- Listen to your radio or television for news and instructions.
If the event occurs near you, check yourself and others for injuries. Give first aid and get help for seriously injured people.
If the event occurs near your office or college dormitory while you are there:
- Do not light matches or candles or turn on electrical switches.
- Check for fires, fire hazards and other hazards.
- If you smell gas or suspect a leak, open windows and get everyone outside quickly.
- Do not use the telephone again unless it is a life-threatening emergency.
For More Information
To learn more about first aid, check the Red Cross for a class in your area.