Natural gas (methane) is colorless and odorless; a compound (mercaptan) is added as an odorant, to allow occupants to quickly identify by smell when a leak is present before the gas concentration rises to an unsafe level. As natural gas can explode when exposed to flame or sparks, it is important to report any suspected gas leaks immediately.
What to Do:
If you suspect a natural gas leak or if there is an unidentified odor, especially inside a building:
- Leave the area immediately.
- Notify the Department of Public Safety at 609-258-3333, dial 911 from a campus phone or activate a blue light phone.
- If possible, post a DO NOT ENTER sign on the entrance(s) to the area.
- Remain available to emergency responders to answer questions.